Strawberry, Vanilla and Hibiscus Vegan Pie Recipe
1 kilo of strawberries, peeled and minimize into halves
⅓ cup hibiscus flowers in syrup (flowers coarsely chopped)
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 cup positive sugar
⅓ cup of arrowroot powder
Half a cup of almond flour
20g unsalted vegan butter, chopped
1 / 4 cup of soy milk or nut milk
Vegetable caster sugar, for dusting
For vegan pie pastries
3 cups of plain flour, plus further for sprinkling
A 3rd of a cup of caster sugar (positive).
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
150 grams of chilly, minimize vegetable butter
50 grams of cold-pressed coconut oil, finely chopped
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ cup ice water
For strawberry sauce
250 grams of strawberries, chopped and minimize into quarters
2 tablespoons syrup of hibiscus flowers in syrup
2 hibiscus flowers, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
Small lemon balm leaves, for serving
- To arrange the dough, put the flour, sugar, and salt in a big bowl and blend them collectively. Add the vegan butter and coconut oil and rub the flour combination along with your fingertips till it resembles positive breadcrumbs. Add vinegar and ice water and blend utilizing a butter knife till you get a tough dough. Knead gently to carry collectively the dough, form it into two equal discs after which wrap every in baking paper. Refrigerate for half-hour or till agency.
- Roll out every pastry disc between two sheets of evenly floured non-stick baking paper till it’s 4mm thick. Evenly grease an 18cm (base measurement) pie tin, line with pastry, trim and reserve the surplus. Freeze for 10 minutes, or till agency.
- Roll out the remaining disc of pastry (and reserved pastry) between two sheets of evenly floured non-stick baking paper right into a 3mm thick sq. of 40cm x 40cm dimensions. Reduce into 13cm x 3cm lengths. Place them on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, then place them within the fridge till wanted.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C). Place the strawberries, hibiscus flowers within the syrup, lemon peel, vanilla paste, caster sugar, and arrowroot in a big bowl and blend collectively. Mud the pie base with almond flour. Cowl it with strawberry filling after which sprinkle it with butter. Place pastry strips on high of pie to create a lattice sample. Press edges to seal and trim extra. Brush the pastries with soy or nut milk. Place it in an oven tray and bake for an hour, or till the dough turns into golden. Then depart it for half-hour earlier than serving.
- Whereas the pie is cooling, mix all of the components collectively to organize the sauce. Serve the pie sprinkled with powdered sugar and sauce.