Listed below are some useful tips about how to not destroy our septic programs together with your vacation grease, courtesy of the Metropolis of Arcata | Misplaced Coast Outpost
Press launch from the Metropolis of Arcata Division of Environmental Companies:
The Division of Environmental Companies encourages residents to correctly get rid of cooking grease this vacation season and all year long.
Many individuals have fun the vacations by getting ready conventional feasts together with turkey, ham, gravy, stuffing, and desserts. Though these meals are scrumptious, they’re normally ready utilizing fat, oils, butter and grease that may harm drains and a metropolis’s sewer system if not disposed of correctly. When residents pour fat, oils or grease down the sink or bathroom, it will increase the possibility of clogged drains resulting in pricey plumbing issues or sanitary sewer overflows. Sanitary sewer overflows are a public well being concern and might trigger critical environmental issues.
The Division of Environmental Companies has some useful ideas for all neighborhood members to assist keep away from sewer drains getting clogged with fat, oils, and grease:
- Keep away from pouring grease or cooking oil into the sink or bathroom.
- Don’t get rid of meals by the rubbish disposal.
- Wipe greasy dishes and utensils with a paper towel or serviette to soak up cooking oil earlier than washing them within the sink.
- Scrape vegetable scraps from dishes to compost them, and scrape greasy meals scraps into the rubbish earlier than washing dishes. Outside compost bins may be bought from the Metropolis of Arcata Environmental Companies Division for $35. Residents also can make the most of an area composting firm resembling The Native Worm Man or Full Cycle Compost. Go to this hyperlink or name (707) 822-8184 for extra data.
- Cooled and solidified cooking oil or grease needs to be positioned in a sealed container after which positioned within the strong waste bin. As a substitute, pour fat and oils into the cat litter till they’re absorbed and get rid of the litter within the trash.
To report sanitary sewer overflows and for extra data relating to disposal of fat, oils, grease and correct disposal of family hazardous waste, please contact the Environmental Companies Division at (707) 822-8184 or firstname.lastname@example.org.