Gigantis plaki (Greek baked beans)
Comforting and buttery gigantes plaki, or large baked Greek beans, with tomatoes and olive oil make a satisfying vegetarian dinner any evening of the week. Or you’ll be able to serve them at room temperature over crusty bread as an appetizer!
Gigantes plaki is a traditional Greek dish of tender cooked beans, swimming in a chunky tomato sauce with loads of additional virgin olive oil.
The time period plaki, pronounced blah-kee, refers to a Greek cooking methodology by which meals is baked or roasted with a lot of tomatoes, greens, and further virgin olive oil. Do you keep in mind this baked Greek fish with tomatoes and onions known as sari blacki? Effectively, these Greek beans additionally belong to the black sort. It is principally the Greek model of the traditional butter beans.
I am grateful to Dorothy, a reader who emailed me a few baked bean dish served by her favourite Greek restaurant in Vancouver. She directed me to Gigantes plaki, or large Greek baked beans, which is actually a Mediterranean weight loss program meal, the place two humble cans of beans are remodeled right into a satisfying and wholesome dinner.
You possibly can by no means have sufficient bean recipes to avoid wasting dinner! I beloved it a lot that I included the recipe in my cookbook.
desk of contents
- Components wanted to make Gigantes Blackie
- tomato sauce
- Learn how to make this recipe
- Gigantes Blackie: A light-weight dinner or snack
- Extra white bean recipes
- Early Harvest – Greek Further Virgin Olive Oil
- Gigantes Plaki (Big Greek Type Baked Beans) Recipe.
Components wanted to make Gigantes Blackie
Gigantes plaki solely requires a number of easy components. There are three easy components to this recipe: beans, chunky tomato sauce, and ornamental or ending touches. Here is what you could make large Greek beans:
Since conventional large beans should not simple to seek out, until you’ve got entry to a Greek or Mediterranean grocery retailer close to you, you should utilize giant butter beans, lima beans, or the biggest white beans you will discover. And sure, canned beans are good on this fast recipe.
You may want some additional virgin olive oil (resembling Early Harvest Pepper Olive Oil), a can of diced tomatoes, and chopped onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, to make a scrumptious, juicy tomato sauce. To season the sauce, you will want bay leaf, oregano, thyme, parsley, and a pinch of cinnamon.
I like to complete this dish with a superb drizzle of additional virgin olive oil and a few crumbled creamy feta cheese. Or omit the feta if you wish to hold it vegan.
Learn how to make This recipe
- This straightforward baked beans recipe begins with a chunky tomato sauce in a big forged iron skillet or oven-safe skillet. You may sauté the onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a little bit additional virgin olive oil till tender, then you definitely’ll add the diced tomatoes from the can (with their juices) and season.
- From there, merely add your drained and well-washed can of beans (I used peanut butter) to the sauce. Switch the pan to the oven and bake at 350°F for 20 to half-hour or till the combination thickens and the beans are very tender.
- When the giga is prepared, cowl it with a superb drizzle of olive oil and end with a little bit crumbled feta cheese.
Gigantes Blackie: A light-weight dinner or snack
I am a giant fan of large beans as a easy vegetarian dinner with a aspect of crusty bread and possibly a giant Greek salad. This white bean recipe additionally makes an excellent aspect alongside issues like keftades or baked hen thighs.
However Gigantis Blackie is usually served as a mezze or appetizer at room temperature on high of some bread. Easy and scrumptious!
Extra white bean recipes
Browse all Mediterranean recipes.
Go to Our store.
This high-quality, chilly pressed, unfiltered EVOO has a wonderfully balanced composition – wealthy in inexperienced and fruit, with a peppery contact!
- Preheat the oven: Place the rack in the midst of the oven, then preheat the oven to 375 levels Fahrenheit.
Fry greens: In a big oven-safe skillet over medium-high warmth, add ⅛ cup olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. A pinch of salt (a few quarter of a teaspoon). Cook dinner, stirring regularly, till greens are tender, 5-7 minutes.
Add tomatoes and spices: Add the tomatoes with their juice and water. Season with a little bit salt (a few quarter teaspoon). Add parsley, thyme, oregano, crimson pepper flakes, black pepper, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
Add beans: Add the beans and cook dinner for five minutes over excessive warmth. At this level, style and alter seasoning to your liking, then switch the combination to the oven and bake till thickened and the topping turns mild golden brown, 20 to half-hour.
End and submit: Take away and discard bay leaves. End with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkling of parsley, and a superb sprinkling of feta cheese. Served with rustic bread.
- Leftovers and storage: Gigantes plaki will hold properly within the fridge for 4 days or so. You possibly can serve leftovers at room temperature.
- Bean: The enormous Greek beans historically used on this recipe could also be troublesome to acquire. Be at liberty to substitute butter beans, cannellini beans, and even navy beans. Actually any creamy white beans will work.
- Go to our retailer Browse high quality Mediterranean components together with olive oil and spices. (I actually just like the Greek Early Harvest EVOO on this recipe.)
Energy: 182.4EnergyCarbohydrates: 24.3gprotein: 6.7gfats: 7.5gSaturated fats: 1.1gUnsaturated fat: 0.9gMonounsaturated fat: 5.2gsodium: 527mgPotassium: 546.6mgFiber: 7.4gsugar: 3.9gVitamin A: 3080.3worldwide unitVitamin C: 18.7mgCalcium: 83.8mgiron: 3.7mg