Hen, Potatoes, Avocado Salad and Rice Pudding – Twin Cities
Avocado, radish and lettuce salad served with braised rooster with tomatoes and potatoes. This brilliant avocado and radish salad with citrus dressing is a superb accompaniment to a wealthy rooster dish. Meals designed by Simon Andrews. (David Malloch/The New York Occasions)
For a cold-weather meal that can feed a crowd, think about a snack bar. It matures slowly, has a deep flavour, and has a lot of enticing qualities. For one factor, it advantages from soaking in its personal juices; Cooking it a number of hours earlier than serving, even a day upfront, is right. The flavors intensify, mature and strengthen.
The perfect cuts for barbecue embody beef, lamb shoulder, or pork shoulder. However rooster is the simplest to cook dinner, as a result of it takes much less time to cook dinner than pink meat. Legs are greatest. I like each thighs and drumsticks, and typically I cook dinner them as a complete leg, typically in two items.
For a most important course, I went with a dish just like the Spanish rooster and potatoes in salsa brava sauce that I tasted years in the past in Madrid. However I added ancho chile, historically utilized in Mexican cooking, for a unique sort of warmth. I could not resist including a little bit cumin, so the result’s a little bit of a hybrid. Mixed with a little bit wine and chopped tomatoes, it is scrumptious heat with a pink, pink sauce.
The now-closed Puerto Rican restaurant La Taza de Oro was as soon as a New York Metropolis basic. It has fueled the Chelsea neighborhood and followers from all walks of life. On a traditional day, you may discover law enforcement officials, hospital staff, the odd politician and any variety of locals. It was at all times busy for lunch. I liked sitting on the desk for a solo meal.
Though I used to be normally there for one of many each day specials, there was an avocado salad on the menu that was beautiful in its simplicity and very talked-about. Along with avocado, it consisted of iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced radishes and onions. Possibly there was a slice of tomato. Drizzled with lemon sauce, it was crunchy and refreshing. With California avocado season in full swing, I considered this salad and was completely satisfied to make it.
Rice pudding appeared like the proper ending to this listing. With a contact of coconut, grilled pineapple and brilliant pink pomegranate seeds, it is a festive dessert, greatest served heat. Many rice pudding recipes name for custard, however this recipe solely requires boiling short-grain rice in sweetened milk. To me, it is harking back to Thai sticky coconut rice. If there are leftovers, that makes a superb breakfast too.
Gradual cooked rooster with tomatoes and potatoes
Written by David Tanis
Gradual-cooked for a very long time till tender and falling off the bone, this braised rooster is aromatic with smoky paprika and cumin. This dish is meant to be Spanish rooster in salsa brava, however the addition of ancho chiles, historically utilized in Mexican cooking, provides much more warmth. Mixed with a splash of wine and chopped tomatoes, it is scrumptious and heat, with a pink, pink sauce. Put together the dish a day upfront, in case you can; The longer it sits within the sauce, the deeper the flavour turns into.
Yield: 6 to eight servings
Whole time: about 2 hours
6 rooster legs (2 1/2 to three kilos), minimize into thighs and drumsticks, at room temperature
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 giant onion, minimize into cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons floor ancho chile, or extra to style
- 2 teaspoons floor cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, minimize into cubes
- 1 pound child Yukon Gold potatoes, minimize in half
- 1 cup coarsely chopped coriander (tremendous stems and leaves) for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels. Pat the rooster dry and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Warmth oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high warmth till shimmering. Brown rooster items in batches, about 5 minutes per aspect, lowering warmth as essential to keep away from burning, then switch to a 9-by-13-inch ovenproof dish (or comparable measurement).
- Scale back the warmth to medium, add the onions to the pan, season with a little bit salt, and fry till softened and evenly browned, for 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf, sizzling pepper, cumin, and paprika, and stir.
- Add the wine and tomatoes and convey to a boil, scraping the underside of the pot. Pour the sauce over the rooster, put the potato halves within the sauce right here and there, then cowl them. Bake till rooster is fork tender and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- Pour the sauce right into a small shallow pan and convey to a simmer. Let the sauce scale back and thicken barely, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce again over the rooster and potatoes. Depart it within the sauce so long as attainable. Simply earlier than serving, sprinkle with recent chopped coriander.
Avocado, radish and lettuce salad
Written by David Tanis
I’ve at all times liked this quite simple salad served at La Taza de Oro, a now-defunct Puerto Rican restaurant in New York Metropolis.
Yield: 4 to six servings
Whole time: 20 minutes
- 1 head of lettuce, leaves separated and a few torn
- 3 giant avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and minimize into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 bunch small pink radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small pink or white onion, minimize into skinny rings
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup additional virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat parsley leaves (optionally available)
- Prepare lettuce leaves on salad plates or a big platter.
- Prime lettuce with avocado slices, organized in a random sample. Sprinkle with radishes and onions. Season with salt and freshly floor pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic with a pinch of salt. Add parsley if utilizing. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve instantly.
Arroz con leche with roasted pineapple
Written by David Tanis
With a touch of coconut, grilled pineapple and brilliant pink pomegranate seeds, this can be a festive dessert. Many rice pudding recipes name for custard, however this one solely requires boiling short-grain rice in sweetened milk—and it would make you consider Thai sticky coconut rice. Serve heat to cowl the meal, and reserve some for the subsequent day. Leftovers make a superb breakfast.
Yield: About 8 servings
Whole time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain rice, resembling bomba or arborio
- 2 slices of lemon peel
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (resembling Diamond Crystal), extra if wanted
- 4 cups complete milk or half-and-half, plus extra as wanted
- A 3rd of a cup of sunshine brown sugar, or extra to style
- 2 cups chopped, 1/2-inch items of recent, ripe pineapple
- Unsweetened coconut flakes, for garnish
- Pomegranate seeds (optionally available), for garnish
- Place rice, lemon peel, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and a pair of cups milk in a saucepan over medium-high warmth. Deliver to a boil then scale back the warmth to take care of a delicate simmer.
- Proceed cooking, stirring continuously, including extra milk 1/2 cup at a time till the rice absorbs it. The rice needs to be cooked after 25 minutes. Stir in gentle brown sugar. Prepare dinner a little bit longer in case you like your rice softer. The combination needs to be comparatively unfastened. Style and add salt or sugar as wanted. Pour the rice into an ovenproof serving dish.
- Prime with pineapple chunks and grill till fruit is evenly browned, about 8 minutes. (Alternatively, bake the dish in a 475 diploma oven for 10 minutes, till the pineapple turns brown, or grill the pineapple individually.)
- Depart to chill barely, and serve heat, or serve at room temperature. Prime with coconut flakes and pomegranate seeds (if utilizing).